Monday 14 January 2013

Luscious lemon curd recipe

Hubby loves lemon curd. He loves it on toast, he loves it in sandwiches and he loves it in cakes, I have to admit I do rather like a lashing of lemon curd on toast myself. A little while ago I decided it was time to attempt to make my own jar of lemony goodness, it went quite well and I've been making jars every couple of months ever since.

It's ever so simple, it takes about 40minutes from walking into the kitchen to putting it in the fridge, so here is my lemon curd recipe shared for you to enjoy, have ago, let me know how yours turns out.

 

You need

4 lemons

100g unsalted butter

200g caster sugar

3 eggs + 1 additional egg yoke

Makes about 500g of lemon curd - have appropriate jar/jars ready and sterilised

 
1. Remove the zest and juice from your lemons
2. Cut the butter into little cubes and place this and the sugar in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of boiling water.
 
Ensure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl and add the lemon zest and juice
 
Stir over the heat until the butter has melted
 
3. Lightly whisk the eggs and add these to the butter, lemon and sugar mix. Whisk together.
Keep over the heat and stir occasionally. The eggs will cook and your mixture will gradually thicken. Takes 12ish minutes.
 
4. When the mixture is glossy, thick and coats the back of your spoon remove from the heat and cool.
Stir occasionally

5. When cool spoon into your jar and keep in the fridge

6. Enjoy the fruits of your labour

Simply divine...

 

4 comments:

  1. If u want the curd smooth ie no bits of lemon rind, use sugar lumps instead of caster sugar and rub them over the lemons. They will absorb the zest and add flavour but it takes more time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca-Your lovely blog has just been loaded in for my Grow Your Blog party - I am looking forward to your special post on the day of the party. I hope you make lots of new friends for your beautiful blog-
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this! I usually buy lemon curd but at times it's hard to find and can be pricey! Love the stuff! I'm so excited to be at 2 Bags Full Grow Your Blog party too-!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
I really do appreciate every comment so would be grateful if you let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Becca x