Friday 11 October 2013

Knitting and Stitching Show - October 2013

Yesterday I was at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, London. What a fabulous day.




As always with these shows, preparation is key. 
I booked in for 2 workshops - one on Shrink Plastic and another to make a make up bag
I'd made a list of what I wanted to buy 
had other project ideas in mind. 
I also went with a very good friend...crafting and a good chat...what could have been better. 

This was by far the biggest craft show I have ever been to, taking up 3 halls in Alexandra Palace. There was such a range of things to do and see.  Including an amazing yarnbombed taxi at the entrance!


One hall had a beautiful display of work from experienced and student artists
Whilst another had the opportunity to get involved in upcycling to make woven rugs and flower corsages

The third hall was by far the biggest and full of all types of knitting and stitching products, of course I didn't come home empty handed 

Campervan and spotty fabric
Campervan and Spotty Fabric

Cars Fabric
Cars Fabric


Elephant Fabric
Elephant Fabric

Liberty Fabric Scraps
Liberty Scraps Fabric
I also bought a fabulous quilt fabric which I will use the liberty fabric for...will share this soon

Looks like there will be a lot of stitching in my future!

Shrink Plastic Workshop
I've had a play with Shrink Plastic before, but always useful to learn from someone more experienced. I made these amazing buttons...so incredibly pleased with them and definitely learnt some new tips to help me make better items at home

Shrink Plastic Buttons
Shrink Plastic Buttons

Sewing a Zip into a Makeup Bag Workshop
This was the workshop I was most excited about as I thought there was a dark art to inserting zips...turns out they are as easy as pie! 
Within an 1.5 hours I had made the outer bag with a zip inserted and box corners (also new to me!) then I slip stitched in the lining on the train heading home....great skills I will use again and again. 
Sewing Prep
From this....

Sewing Workshop
...to this

Sewing Workshop
Love it!

If you're crafty and can get to London would completely recommend the show, its on until Sunday so get there if you can.


I was sent the entry tickets to the show for free in exchange for writing a review, however, I paid for all travel, workshops and shopping myself. All words in this blogpost are my own. 

8 comments:

  1. Love those fabrics - can't wait to see what you make with them and especially looking forward to seeing the liberty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those fabrics - can't wait to see what you make with them and especially looking forward to seeing the liberty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, liberty quilt will be a bit of a labour if love I think... Just need to get it started, will be small but lovel

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the items you create following your lessons and your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing purse- zip with a lining and everything, well impressed. Wonderful day! Can't wait for next installment and see what all the lovely fabrics turn into xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there were such lovely fabrics there, really difficult to choose

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great day, love the look of those buttons! I'm going tomorrow and haven't planned anything. Fingers crossed I don't spend too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks like you managed to get one of the few sunny pictures of the knitted taxi - impressive! Anyone wanting to know more about its wooly exploits, or about the endangered words campaign (for which it was commissioned) can visit carnabysuninvited.com - we are also hoping to get ideas on ways to get more knitting into schools.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
I really do appreciate every comment so would be grateful if you let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Becca x